Monday, October 13, 2008

MySpace and Media Participation

Two weeks ago I had planned a trip to California to visit a friend who lives outside of LA. Days before the trip I saw a bulletin on MySpace requesting people to volunteer as extras in a music video. The video shoot happened to be the day I planned to arrive in California and was not far from Burbank Airport. I replied to the request for extras with my contact information and was notified of the time and place.

I flew into Burbank and while waiting in line for my rental car I texted Shredman - my contact in the band. I asked if the shoot was still on for the afternoon. His text reply was "Totes". That seemed as if he was confirming that the shoot was totally that afternoon. So, I headed over to the shoot location which was a bar in Pasadena. I walked in and the bartender directed me to the shooting location (upstairs). I walked up and there were just people milling around. So I wandered about and almost walked into Kyle Gass (the other half of Tenacious D) and the other band members of Trainwreck. They were very nice and helped me find the person in charge of extras. While Tenacious D and Trainwreck had both put out bulletins several times through MySpace and other online outlet, it seemed probably less than 10 people including myself responded to the requests. There were other extras who turned out to be friends of band members.

While being in a music video sounds like a thrilling experience, a lot of time was spent sitting and waiting. Once shooting started another girl and I pretended to play fuzzball in the background of the main event - a fight during a friendly game of beer pong. It was an interesting experience and I can't wait until December when the video comes out to see if I actually made my 'on-screen' debut!

No comments: