Saturday, September 27, 2008

Grapes and Water

I'm so disappointed in my rebellious nature. Not that I behaved rebelliously but rather that in doing so I did something healthy instead of living it up! I went to the movies yesterday to see "The Women". I decided to sneak in a snack in my Everyday Adventure Bag (which some people might call a purse). Did I sneak in some M&Ms (they make these premium ones now that are incredible)? How about a diet Coke (instead of paying five bucks for the small one)? No and no. Grapes and water (in my stainless steel refillable water bottle). Boring. What has happened to me? Who sneaks grapes and water into the movies? Going to the movies is about indulgence. That huge vat of popcorn. Gallons of soda. The candy that you don't usually eat, but hey you're at the movies. Seriously, grapes and water?

On the other hand, it was a liberating experience. I am recently divorced and also recently moved from the east coast to Colorado. I went to the movies by myself in the middle of the day. This was my second time. I went last week to see "Burn After Reading". I'm proud of myself for embracing my aloneness and not allowing it to keep me from doing what I want to do. I look at it as I may never get this opportunity again. I was married for 13 years and never had to wonder with whom I was going to the movies. Sure we usually agreed on which movie we wanted to see, and yes he often made concessions to see chick flicks. Or, I would go with the girls to see things he would never go see. But going on my own because nobody else wanted to see what I wanted to see or more likely had the time to get away from their busy lives. That was something I had never done before. After you break the ice and try something new, the second time's not so bad. And once you start doing things just because you want to and you can, new opportunities unfold before your eyes. Options that were always there but you never considered.

Everyday can truly be an adventure if you have the right perspective.

No comments: